Wednesday, October 05, 2011

SharePoint designer: The installation of this package failed

Today I was working at a client and he asked me to install SharePoint designer. Sure! I said; thinking this was just an easy task to do.. I was wrong!
I couldn't install his package, I got "The installation of this package failed" as soon as I started the install. After some googling, 80% suggested to re-download the package, so I used my own (proofed working) install file, same thing.

Tried the 64 / 32 bit, all gave the same error.

The solution:
I used my laptop (own system) to extract the install package:
(In DOS prompt:) SharePointDesigner_32.exe /extract:c:\_tmp\spd32\

The files got successfully extracted, putted them on a USB stick, and ran the setup.exe on the client's pc. SharePoint Designer got installed successfully !

There is probably something wrong with the client's Microsoft Installer installation ..

4 comments:

  1. That did the trick and is the only solution I could find on the internet so thanks for writing it up. I have the 32-bit version of Office on a 32-bit machine and a 64-bit machine. Only the 64-bit machine could extract this though that seems too strange to be the only reason so maybe something else going on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That did the trick and is the only solution I could find on the internet so thanks for writing it up. I have the 32-bit version of Office on a 32-bit machine and a 64-bit machine. Only the 64-bit machine could extract this though that seems too strange to be the only reason so maybe something else going on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just put the Mcaffee antivirus down and the install was successful

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was the McAffee!!!

    ReplyDelete